Tuesday, July 7, 2020

WHY DC SHOULD BE A STATE

Washington, DC has a population of about 721,000 people. It is one of the great cities of our country with more than its share of cultural and academic institutions. Two states, Wyoming with about 596,000 people and Vermont with about 626,000 people are smaller in population. Alaska with about 774,000 people, North Dakota with about 824,000 people, and South Dakota with about 903,000 people are slightly larger but in the same general league of small states. So why is DC still not a state? Why are 721,00 of our fellow citizens disenfranchised? I lived in DC for 1 year when I did my internship at the Washington Hospital Center. Rabbi Albert Platt (a first cousin to my father on my grandmother's side with whom I became close when I lived there) called it "taxation without representation." Statehood for DC is not likely to occur as long as Right Wing Republicans remain in power because DC has a majority of African Americans and Democrats. There will be much to repair and improve when Trump is out and Biden is president. One item on the list should be STATEHOOD FOR DC as the 51st state.

No comments:

Post a Comment