Monday, July 31, 2017

DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE AND IMMIGRATION


I recently came across a text book from a political science class which I took about 60 years ago. It is a compilation of various important political documents. One that caught my eye is the American Declaration of Independence. In perusing it, I found ideas that I must have read in the past but which had little real meaning to me at the time of reading or perhaps that I had just forgotten. One such line that holds particular importance in the present time is a grievance against King George of England which says, “He has endeavored to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the laws of naturalization of foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migration hither,…”

So King George discouraged immigration to America because he feared immigration would make America stronger and therefore more difficult to control just as Trump and the GOP in the present time discourage immigration because they fear immigrants are more likely to become Democratic voters thereby increasing the strength of the Democratic party relative to the Republicans. The USA is a nation of immigrants and their children. Immigration is an important factor in making America strong and independent just as King George feared many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment