Sunday, August 21, 2011

J Street: Who Are You?

When I read the web sites of J Street and the New Israel Fund, I see many concerns for Israel with which I agree, religious pluralism, separation of church and state, concern for minorities (Jewish and non-Jewish), opposition to the deportation of children of migrant workers, concern for calling Israelis unpatriotic if they criticize some actions of their government, and crticizing the expansion of settlements on the West Bank. I even once made a contribution to the New Israel fund because I wanted to give money that would go into the Israeli economy and also support an organization with which I agree. But I have not repeated that contribution because I really don't know to whom I contributed. It was refreshing recently to see that J Street was "horrified" by the recent attacks from Gaza that killed 8 Israelis in the Negev. But I am bothered by the lack of criticism of the Palestinian leadership for starting the Intafada many years ago that killed many Hebrew people, for insisting on conditions like the "right of return" which are impossible for Israel to meet, and for teaching hatred of Jews to their children. I also haven't seen criticsm of the surrounding Arab nations for starting the mess by invading Israel/Palestine in 1948, using hatred of Israel to take the focus off the suppression of their own people, and for keeping Palestinian Arabs in their countries in refugee camps for generations to maintain their hatred of Jews.
The tragedy of J Street is that they could be a force for reason, but by always focusing on criticism of Israel and glossing over the transgressions of the Arab side, they remove themselves as representatives of ordinary Jews/Hebrews like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment